Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Sensible Chic!

There's this show I just adore on HGTV...Sensible Chic. On that show, they have a very expensive "designer inspiration room" which then recreate for much less, but with a great look, just the same.

I am finding to challenge myself in jewelry design, I am creating some pieces which are based on a designer "inspiration" piece. My recent Bonte Butterfly pendant is one such creation.

Today, I challenged myself again. My inspiration piece is a genuine Australian Opal pendant in 14K gold by designer Mark Hileman. I saw this piece and wondered if I could recreate this masterpiece using my materials, and for much less. Of course the recreation looks different, but it's based on the "feel" of his pendant/necklace. So here we go...here is the inspiration piece:



(luciously GORGEOUS!)



And my recreation in polymer clay with 14K gold filled wire bezels and hanging from a 12/20K gold filled figaro chain:



So delicious.....I've named the piece "Opal Sugar". Of course his piece is in the $1,000's, I'm sure, and mine is a mere $65. A nice look for less, don't you think? It's probably the daintiest piece of jewelry I've ever created. I like the sleek look of it. I'm tempted to do a few more, perhaps some different shapes. It's very geometric in nature, yet colorful enough for me to have been artistically attracted to it.

T'was a fun way to spend my day! :)

1 comment: