Monday, May 16, 2005

A hatpin & a thought

Custom Opalescent Hatpin!



Today I thought I'd share a photo of this custom opalescent hatpin I just completed. I've never made a hatpin and thanks to some valuable input from a few members of the guild (http://www.jewelrydesignersguild.com), I was able to come up with something I feel is unique as well as pretty. I specifically included the darker photo so you can see the detail in the material...there is a floral design present. To see additional photos and a description, click on the photo.

And a thought crossed my mind. I was thinking of why it is so important to me to make my own jewelry (or other artistic things...as I have made everything from books to art to home decor). It's important to me because I want to leave a piece of me "behind" in this world after I go. Think about it...100 years from now, I'll just be a blip of a faint memory in our universe. By making the things I make, and signing my name to them, I hope to leave something behind that someone can pick up 100 years from now and say "Boy, that's beautiful."

Plus there is so much non-beautiful stuff going on in our world today, I feel if I can add in some beauty in my own little way, it might offset some of the bad stuff. Perhaps something I make might cause someone to smile. Perhaps something I do might make a difference in someone's day. I know, as an artist, I appreciate it very much when someone takes their time to make an effort in my day.

Being an artist is very lonely. It's the most lonely, isolated thing I've ever done. And strangely enough, it's also the most satisfying and self-fulfilling. I have the worst feeling in the world and the best feeling in the world present in me each and every day. Both offset the other. Balance - that's something I said I needed in my life. Well, I guess I've got it - in the most extreme way possible.

Night night, friends. Tomorrow is a new day. It will be filled with new thoughts and new things and new creations. I'm grateful for the gift of tomorrow...and also thankful of the passing of this day.

No comments: