Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Coffee Thoughts ~ Wednesday

Oh my. Day 3 of this week and I've only completed one painting so far. I was all set to begin the Scarlet Macaw yesterday, and somehow, the plan got changed. The conversation went something like this...

"If you do a rooster painting, I can almost GUARANTEE you I'll get it sold for you."

My breath quickens at the thought!

"If I can't get him to buy the original, I'll for sure get him to buy a print."

Hmmmm. Already backing up on the sale of the original....hmmmm.

Now I've done this before, mostly with the jewelry I used to make...."Oh, if you do a such-and-such, I'll buy it!" So I rush to do the requested piece, and lo and behold, the "buyer" drops off the face of the earth. Years later, here sits that piece. So I kind of made myself a deal after the last time it happened....don't do a requested piece unless: 1) they secure it as a commission and pay the deposit up front or 2) it's a subject *I* really want to do.

Now I can guarantee you I wasn't even THINKING about painting a rooster yesterday. It was the furthest thing from my mind. However....the thought of a rooster painting is not so far-fetched, since I have thought about it in the recent past. I know many people love roosters. I just don't know a whole lot about them, and I tend to paint things I'm more familiar with. I have no doubt, though, that I can definitely paint a rooster and paint him well. After all, I love birds, have painted many of them, and a rooster is a bird, is it not? :)

So off I go to my stash of reference photos and I find the type of rooster I want to paint. As I'm looking through the photos, I'm not pleased with any of them in total. It's like "I like parts of this one, and the tail on this one and the colors on this guy..."

So I spent the afternoon yesterday crafting a sketch combining the poses and parts of various rooster references I had. Now I have the base design ready and I think I have a rooster I can be proud of, as well a plan for a very vibrant color palette (of course!). It's time to start the painting!

Off to the studio......Cocka-doodle-doo!!!!!!
Jai

No comments: