Friday, March 03, 2006

Fanta, compelling earth tones (click here to bid!)


Today's listing on Ebay is "Fanta", a piece designed with enriching and compelling earthtones, along with genuine gold leaf.

To see more Coloresque jewels just released, click here.

My brother is visiting from Florida this week and we were having a discussion yesterday about these jewels, both the shape and the spiral pattern in the center. I thought I'd explain a little about both of these, and tell you why I picked these shapes to be the major focus of my new line of jewelry this year.

The spiral is a compelling shape, and represents the perpetual motion of life, presenting a picture of life as an endless process bound within cycles of time. Although each loop of the spiral brings us back to the same place, it takes us to a higher and more evolved level and represents the evolutionary process of learning and growing. Life doesn't proceed in a straight line - instead, the path of life more closely resembles a spiral. We seem to pass the same point over and over again, but from a different perspective each time.

The spiral has been produced for thousands of years and is the simplest and most common geometric shape in nature - it appears in hurricanes and tornados, in the pattern of seeds in a sunflower, in the tips of ferns, in the pattern that leaves grow on a stem, in the shape of a sea shell, and, as a helix, the shape of the DNA molecule. The spiral has found its way into the art of almost all cultures, from ancient primitive rock carvings to today's corporate logos.

The spiral is a globally positive symbol, representing such things as cosmic force, the journey of life, the cycles of time, the seasons, the cycle of birth, growth, death, and then rebirth, and the spiritual journey.

The circle shape is a "happy shape" - often seeing a perfectly round circle generates a smile. Why do you think Wal-Mart uses a perfect circle, smile face, as their "mascot"? It promotes happiness! Joy! Fun! A polka dot pattern is always an uplifting and joyous pattern - filled with several circles together, it's not surprising it would be fun and light-hearted.

I like using the circle shape for my Coloresque jewels because I like the happy feeling...and I want my customers to feel that happy feeling as well! I like the slight spiral patterns in the center of the jewels because it does represent a positive symbol, one of a never-ending, perpetual motion, and indicates to me the joy of life can be endless.

I hope this helps to explain why I chose these shapes. In addition to my extreme love of color(s) and the study of same, I thought the shape choice for these jewels was important and meaningful as well.

Jai

Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this quote "Life doesn't proceed in a straight line - instead, the path of life more closely resembles a spiral. We seem to pass the same point over and over again, but from a different perspective each time," from this post. I was just
googling things people had remarked on about "spirals", because I have become very absorbed in the spiral shape. I have several snail shells and an ammonite fossil that are inspiring me to produce art. So thank you for your words, they are very powerful.