Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Join me on a creation adventure!

Good morning world! Recently I became notified of a book that is wanting submissions of necklaces for an upcoming publication. I have decided to challenge myself to make at least ONE spectacular museum quality piece to submit to this book. My deadline is October 15 to have the submission in. I guarantee you it will take me longer to get good photos than it will to make the jewelry! :) This is a premium book and my photos for my slides must be his-res and excellent quality, or they will be rejected.

The first step, however, is to create the necklace. Without that, there's nothing to take a photo of! So I decided to challenge myself to get this piece made, and I will be posting photos of my progress here. So if you'd like to join me on this adventure, bookmark this blog page so you can keep up with the fun.

The necklace has a name (thanks to Sherry of Sherry's Keepsakes, who gave me the name idea!): Tropical Aves & Flora

The necklace will feature 7 (lucky 7!) LARGE hand carved art beads. Each bead will have a breed of tropical bird on one side, and a tropical flower on the opposite side. The beads will be strung on a black rubber (or perhaps leather) cording in a collar fashion. If I've calculated this correctly, the beads should go completely from one side of the neck, across the front, and up to the other side, with no beads on the back of the necklace. I'll probably make this a choker style (perhaps 15") with an attached chain for adjustment.

The necklace when worn one way, will display the variety of tropical birds. When flipped over, it will display the tropical flowers. I have all 7 beads mapped out, and now it's time to start creating them. Later today I will upload a photo of what I begin with "material wise" so you can see the blank "canvas" I am staring at. :)

I have one focal bead necklace I'm finishing up today to go on Ebay first and then I will get started on Tropical Aves and Flora. As I finish each bead for the necklace, I will upload photos of it here, so you can view each individually, and then when all beads are complete, you will get to observe the final creation before anyone else!

The posts will be labeled "Evolution of a Museum Quality Neckpiece" (#1, #2, etc) so they will be easy to find should you look in the archives for past ones once I get farther along. I am challenging myself to make one bead a day for 7 days. However, I have learned life gets in the way sometimes and I have unplanned interrruptions or other things which come up. So I'm not locking myself into it, especially since each bead may end up taking 2 days a piece because of the firing and cooling times involved. But as I go, the progress and photos will be posted here. :)

I hope will will join me in observing the evolution of Tropical Aves & Flora.

Jai

No comments: