Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Evolution of a Museum Quality Neckpiece #1

Okay, here we go! I have cut and formed the large clay beads for the Tropical Aves & Flora neckpiece. As you can see in the photo below, it looks like a bunch of eggs on a cord. :)




Each one of these egg shaped beads (which are still raw, btw!) will have art specifically drawn to the size specification of the bead it will go on. As you can see, each bead is slightly different in shape and size, so this will be fun! As stated in my previous post, there will be a tropical bird portrait on the front of each bead and a flower on the back. The necklace will be reversible - wearing one way shows the birds and flip it over and it will show the flowers. As soon as I get bead #1 designed and complete, I will post it.

Currently, I am still working on the bead I started yesterday. It's been in the oven for a second firing and now I have to do some more layering of color(s), and then it will go back in the oven for firing #3. If all is well at that point, firing #4 will be after it is glazed. If not, then more firings will be necessary. One bead can take as many as 10-12 firings. The least amount of firings I have done on these beads I'm making now is three. That was on a relatively simple bead, however. The one currently in the oven is a tree frog bead - he doesn't have a name yet and that's bugging me! He is shaped like one of those naked beauties above, and will be strung on black cord and presented as a single bead necklace. He may go up on Ebay tomorrow, if all goes well today.

Back to the studio......more later!

Jai

No comments: