Wednesday, May 24, 2006

How it all begins.....

Here's a sneak peak at the beginning of my next painting titled "Birth Journey". This painting is one I'm doing especially for Kelly, the mother of my nephew who will be arriving in this world any day now!

I have one week to complete the painting, mat and frame it, so I can take it to her when I leave to make the long journey from TN to FL next week.

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing how a painting begins....my drawing is done completely on the computer using a Wacom Tablet. (Click on the image to see a larger view.) Once I have the basics of the sketch complete, I then print it as a much larger size, and then transfer it to my watercolor paper. Once I start to add color, the painting begins to come to life.

Wish me luck on this one - there's a lot going on in this piece, from the pregnant mother riding the ball through the water, to the lion offering her strength by pulling her, to the tree frogs riding on the back of the ball, to the parrots in the palm trees, to the faded in imagery of the angel holding the baby's head in the sky....so I have a lot to accomplish with this scene!

Jai

No comments: