Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It's a Bird's Life!


I don't know if I realized the correlation between my love for birds and my abstract paintings until today. But it just hit me - I love BIRDS - all of them...the colors of their feathers, the vibrancy they seem to carry wherever they go. Especially the pet birds, such as the parrots and cockatiels. They are SO FUNNY with their unique personalities, the little "games" they like to play, the sounds they make and so much more.
Most of my abstract paintings seem to have a "feathery" look in spots, and I guess it's because I am obsessed with birds.
Birds are one of my best subjects for painting. I love ALL animals, but birds and horses have been the ones I always seem to paint the best for some reason. (of course I've been painting those subjects since I was 13...so that could have something to do with it! LOL)
Anyway, a friend has challenged me to do a series of humorous/cute bird paintings. So I'm going to do it! I'm going to do at least 12 - enough to create a calendar.
This art you see here is the first image in the series. Titled "Summer's Over", it's caption on the fine art prints and cards is "I guess this mean's Summer's over!". The painting features a Catalina Macaw holding a deflated beach ball as he sits on a "sold out" lemonade sign. This will be the September image in my calendar.
The original painting is 9" x 12" on canvas board and is created in acrylic. It's on Ebay this week. Cards, prints, apparel and more can be ordered from The Silajai Gallery.
Next on the easel is my October imagery, which will - of COURSE - have a Halloween theme. BOO! :)
I hope you all like "Summer's Over", and stay tuned for the rest of the series! I'd like to have all 12 paintings done by the end of October. What can I say...I work well under pressure! :)
Love, Jai

No comments: