Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Jewelry Show Featuring One of a Kind Designs...

My work below will be featured in an online jewelry show this Sunday. Information about the show and times is listed below...hope you'll stop by!

I’ve discovered the beauty of solder. The way the heat makes it flow into glorious patterns and shapes reminds me of life...the way it rises...the way it falls...the way it levels. The centerpieces I choose are each encased in a heavily soldered frame, created by solely by me and gravity, making each one truly a one of a kind creation.

Although I'm setting several different types of material in my solder art pendants (broken china, gemstones, porcelain cabochons), I'm particularly drawn to the river rocks I've been using as centerpieces recently. I've always had an affinity for rocks and stones of any type. I've been collecting them since I was a child. These neutral colored, natural stones are shaped by acts of nature and worldly circumstances...which I happen to feel a "closeness" with, as I, too, have been shaped by my worldly circumstances. The rock’s rounded shape comes from years of tumbling in rivers and oceans. Who I am comes from years of tumbling through life. There's a likeness there - between myself and the stones. I have found others feel the same way, and although it might be subconscious, they also see the similarity between themselves and the pendants they choose to purchase. It's as if they feel a kinship with a particular stone when they see "the one".

River Rocks, while natural, are also very colorful. The hues and shades of color presented are indicative of the artistry of the ages, as it forms a kaleidoscope of nature’s pallet within itself. Each freeform stone is hand selected for color, size and feel, then framed artistically with solder to create a unique look - no two are ever the same.

I am thoroughly enjoying my new journey into this realm of solder work, experimenting, designing, and trying to control something that doesn’t want to be controlled. Sorta like LIFE, you know?
---------------------------------------

Show Information:

Location:
www.nowlive.com/showid/63074
Notes:
Date: Sunday, November 2nd, 2008
Time: 12pm PST, 2pm CST, 3pm EST or 9pm if you're in Europe
Event: The JoolTime Yahoo Jewelry Making Group will be featuring a jewelry show of one of a kind designs! Information will be provided on each piece by the designer and it will be a really fun occasion full of color, dimension, and texture!
Please join us in the broadcast room on November 2nd for this wonderful display of talent!

To interact with the broadcast room via real time text messaging, webcams, and mics you will need a user id available at www.nowlive.com/support.
To simply watch and listen, no user id is required.

1 comment:

One of A Kind Jewelry said...

If you are looking for one-of-a-kind pieces of jewelry, fashion or home décor by artisan designers, or perhaps would like to be inspired by the largest juried craft show on the West Coast. If so, the American Craft Council Show will be taking place in San Francisco over the weekend of August 3-5, featuring more than 230 artists at the Fort Mason Center.